|Corning 6795-620D Hot Plate (Generic)|
|Tool Type: Hot Plate|
|Location: Multiple (3430 & 2448)|
|David Bothman||“WW Name”|
|(805) 893-4125||(###) ###-####|
|Description: Typical hot plate for heating samples|
|Manufacturer: Corning and others|
A hot plate is a portable stand-alone heating element. In addition to temperature control, many hot plates also possess a magnetic stirrer, which can stir samples at a set rpm when coupled with a magnetic stir bar.
Requires standard 110/120V AC connection. Typical temperature range: up to 300-500 C.
High heat danger! To prevent damage to the tool, your sample, and others, do not leave a hot plate unattended while in use. If you must use a hot plate for an extended period of time, please contact the lab manager or one of the Workshop Wizards to set up a safe space or discuss and alternate solution.
Fire and explosion danger! Heating volatile flammables/combustibles is not approved in the Innovation Workshop or Microfluidics Lab.
General SOP for Hot Plate Operation
Before using your hotplate, ensure that you have adequate space and that there are no solvents/flammables nearby. Also ensure that your sample will fit on the hot plate heating surface.
If you are working with a sample that could contaminate the hot plate (PDMS, photoresist, etc.), please cover the heating surface with aluminum foil to keep it clean.
For Heating Samples
1) Turn the hot plate on and set the desired temperature. Place your sample on the center of the heating surface, where the temperature is most accurate.
2) Allow your sample to heat for the desired time. Do not leave the hot plate unattended. If you must leave for a a few minutes or less, please leave a note with your name, the date, and expected time of return.
3) If your sample must be heated for several hours and you cannot be present, please contact the lab staff in advance to ensure a safe workspace.
4) When you are finished, turn off the hotplate and remove your sample. Ensure that the heating surface is clean. If dirty, allow the hotplate to cool and clean the heating surface with a non-abrasive cleaner.
5) If previously stored, return the hotplate to its storage location.
For Stirring Samples
1) Turn the hot plate on and place your sample on the center of the heating surface, where the magnetic sir bar will rest.
2) Place a magnetic stir bar in your solution/mixture and set the desired rpm.
3) When you are finished, turn off the hotplate and remove your sample. Ensure that the heating surface is clean. If dirty, allow the hotplate to cool and clean the heating surface with a non-abrasive cleaner.
4) If previously stored, return the hotplate to its storage location.